Friday, March 7, 2008

No money? No problem!

Like many people, I didn't have to think about preparing my own food until I moved away from home. Unsurprisingly, when I had to start cooking for myself every day, I was lost. I was trying my hardest, but my meals were repetitive and occasionally pathetic. Something had to change. I read some cookbooks, did some research, and things improved. I know that buying groceries and cooking in a way that makes the most of a little money can seem difficult. Eating on a budget is simple only if you're willing to subsist on ramen and saltines. If you want your meals to be fairly healthy and delicious, the challenges are compounded. However, I've learned a few basic guidelines:


(1) Buy ingredients, not meals.
Any student of Adam Smith will tell you that as the amount of work going into a product increases, so does its price. Buying less-processed foods also gives you more flexibility. If you buy chickpeas instead of hummus, you'll save money and have an ingredient with almost limitless possibilities.

(2) Your pantry is your friend.
When food goes bad, money is wasted. That's why pantry goods are so helpful. Dried lentils are incredibly cheap and last almost forever. Vinegar can add tons of flavor for very little money. Most of the year, canned tomatoes are better than fresh ones. I'd also argue that the freezer can be an extension of the pantry; especially during winter, good frozen vegetables are invaluable. Building up a pantry can be a little expensive, but once you have it you can throw together a meal even if you haven't been to the grocery store in awhile.

(3) Eat less meat.
Meat is expensive, and it tends to complicate cooking. In many places rarely using meat is the norm. The United States may not be one of those places, but if you're willing to explore other cuisines you'll find a wealth of satisfying vegetarian dishes. I promise.

(4) Buy foods that make sense together.
Here in the Nubbin, we rarely plan specific meals. However, as we're shopping we do try to have a sense of how we can use each ingredient. Do we have rice to eat with those black beans? Do we have garlic for pasta dishes? It's not difficult to think this way, and it becomes easier with every shopping trip.

(5) Some things are worth the expense.
Nothing can replace a block of good parmesan or a well-stocked spice rack. Sometimes you have to buy an expensive ingredient. The good news is that these items tend to last for awhile. Of course, the previous guideline still applies; it's best to buy cumin once you have some idea of how you'll use it.

I'm hardly an expert; I'm just someone with very little money who likes good food. But I see far too many people who are resigned to eating meals they barely taste. It doesn't take much money or effort to make food an enjoyable and, dare I say, fun part of every day.

No comments: